Office of the Honorary Consul General

Mr. Gerard A. Renno is the Honorary Consul General of Latvia in Beirut. Learn more

Legal and Consular Affairs

If you have any question related to passports, visas, work and residence permits, citizenship ,Return of Certificate, Police Clearance, and all related legal matters, we can assist you. The Consulate General in Beirut deals with such administrative matters.

Embassy of Latvia in Egypt

8th floor Abou el Fida building, 3 Abou El Fida street, Zamalek,
Cairo, Egypt,
tel: +(202)27384188
Fax: +( 202) 27384189,

Entry into Latvia - Schengen zone visas

On December 21, 2007, Latvia joined the Schengen border-free zone. The Schengen agreement allows for passport-free travel across 24 nations in Europe. A valid Schengen visa is required to enter the territory of Latvia.

Obtaining Schengen Visa

If you need to apply for a visa to visit Latvia or have any visa related questions regarding travel to Latvia, please visit the Hungarian Embassy website for more details. The Hungarian embassy website has the application form.

Renewing your Latvian passport

If your current Latvian passport has expired or is about to expire, then you can renew it through the Latvian Embassy in Egypt ( Consulate General of Latvia in Beirut issues a return certificate to help you to travel to Latvia for one time.

Requesting specific documents

If you need a birth certificate, marriage certificate; information about your relatives in Latvia; information about the duration of your employment in Latvia, real estate in Latvia, etc. please visit the Latvian Embassy in Egypt website for more details.

Applying for Return Certificate - a single time travel document

The Return Certificate is a temporary travel document, which assures the identity of a person under jurisdiction of the Republic of Latvia and replaces travel document (passport) issued by the Republic of Latvia.

The Return Certificate gives its holder the right to cross the border of the Republic of Latvia one time only, when returning from abroad.

The Return Certificate can be received if the person requesting it, while abroad, has lost his/her travel document issued by the Republic of Latvia (passport) or if the document has been stolen or has become invalid for further use.

In extreme situations, the Return Certificate can be issued within 24 hours time.

The validity of the Return Certificate is 30 days.

In order to receive a Return Certificate, the following documents must be submitted to the Embassy of Latvia:

Application form (in Latvian) for receiving Return Certificate in cases below:

  • New born child with no passport, living in a foreign country needs one single entry

Documents required:

  • Birth certificate of the child Legislated Translated to English from the Lebanese MOF.
  • Marriage certificate translated to English and legislated from the Lebanese MOF.
  • Photocopy of valid passports of the parents
  • An application form in Latvian filled by the Latvian parent.
  • An undersigned letter by the father allowing his child to have the Latvian passport
  • Two passport photos (3x4 cm)
  • the invalid Latvian passport or personal identification document;
  • if the passport has been stolen, police report and explanation for loss of the passport
  • if the passport has been lost, explanation for loss of the passport;
  • two passport size photos (3x4cm);

After crossing the border of the Republic of Latvia, the person holding the Return Certificate must submit it to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs regional department, based on the last registered permanent residence place and must apply for a new passport of the Republic of Latvia.

English translation of the application form for receiving Return Certificate

1. Name, Last name;
2. Date and place of birth;
3. Height (in cm) / eye color;
4. Place of permanent residence (also can be Irish address);
5. Personal identification number;
6. Legal status in Latvia (citizen, alien, non-citizen);
7. Document with which you traveled out of the Republic of Latvia;
8. * The number of previously mentioned document / issue date / issue place
9. When and under what circumstances the document became invalid;
10. The permanent residence place abroad;
11. Information about persons under 18 with whom you are travelling (last name, name, date of birth);
12. Expected date of return to Latvia;
13. Countries planned to visit in transit, while returning to Latvia

Signature of applicant / Date

 * To be completed if the person has the necessary information

Residence permit in Latvia

On 1 July 2010, the amendments to the Immigration Law of the Republic of Latvia came into force expanding the possibilities to obtain a residence permit in Latvia for foreigners who want to stay and move freely within the Schengen area.
The uniqueness of these amendments lies in the fact that a new method for obtaining a residence permit was introduced - investing in real estate. It has attracted a large number of investors, because a foreigner investing in real estate (that can be used for profit) has the possibility to move freely within the Schengen area under the condition that he or she has a passport and sufficient financial means. Citizens of the Russian Federation are especially interested in using this possibility, as Latvia is located in the vicinity and is a tourist destination due to its unique cultural monuments, well-known resorts and international festivals.
A residence permit is a document that gives a foreign citizen the right to temporarily (a temporary residence permit) or permanently (a permanent residence permit) stay in the Republic of Latvia.
A residence permit is needed if you want to stay in the Republic of Latvia or in Schengen area for more than 90 days in a six-month period. Temporary residence permit is issued in form of a separate document similar to national ID card.
A temporary residence permit gives a foreigner the right:

  1. to stay in the Republic of Latvia for a period of time not exceeding five years;
  2. to freely cross borders of EU Member States and non-EU countries;
  3. to move and stay up to 90 days within the territory of other EU countries except for the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria and Romania;
  4. to obtain a Latvian or EU permanent residence permit after five years;
  5. to obtain temporary residence permits for the spouse and children.

A temporary residence permit may be obtained by:

  1. investing in real estate after 1 July 2010;
  2. investing in Latvian credit institutions;
  3. investing in the equity capital of an enterprise.

Conditions on investing in real estate:

  1. the total amount of transaction (involving one or several real estates) must be at least LVL 100,000 (approx. EUR 143,000) in large cities or at least LVL 50,000 (approx. EUR 72,000) in other places;
  2. only non-cash funds may be used for purchasing real estate;
  3. a foreigner does not have and has never had any debts of payments of real estate tax in Latvia;
  4. The transaction is concluded after 1 July 2010;
  5. A residence permit is issued after registering the ownership in the Land Register.

Conditions on investing in Latvian credit institutions:

  1. the amount of financial investments must be at least LVL 200,000 (approx. EUR 286,000);
  2. the term of transaction must be at least five years without the right to terminate it prior to the term of repayment of the deposit.

Conditions on investing in the equity capital of an enterprise:

  1. The amount of investment must be at least LVL 25,000 (approx. EUR 36,000);
  2. The amount of taxes payable for the next year must be at least LVL 20,000 (approx. EUR 28,600).

Duration of process
The time for obtaining a residence permit in Latvia includes the period necessary to review the submitted documents which is 5 to 30 days depending on the amount of fee paid. Additional time may be needed for sending documents by mail. If an additional verification by the foreigner is necessary or if a foreigner applies for residence permits for his or her spouse and minor children, the term can be extended for up to 90 days. A foreigner has to come to Latvia to obtain a residence permit no later than three months after being granted the permit.
According to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (PMLP), 2495 temporary residence permits were issued in 2010 indicating a high demand for this service. It is also worth mentioning that the amendments to the Immigration Law of 20 January 2011 simplified the bureaucratic component of services making them even more accessible

What is necessary for obtaining a residence permit?

  • It is necessary to obtain from an inviter a sponsorship approved by the Office;
  • It is necessary to present travel document ( passport and visa) which are valid in the republic of Latvia
  • The following documents are necessary to be submitted with the Office:
  • Application form for a Resident Permit Request
  • Photo passport
  • A statement of any criminal records issued by a competent institution of a state of citizenship or a place of residence.
  • A document confirming the necessary subsistence
  • A document confirming the envisaged place of residence in Latvia
  • A document certifying that the payment for the real property acquired has been made by non- cash means of payment
  • A document certifying that the foreigner has no real property tax debts if he owns the real property more than one year
  • A document confirming the state duty payment
  • When obtaining a temporary residence permit a foreigner has to present a valid health insurance policy
  • When obtaining a residence permit, a foreigner has to present a statement issued by a Latvian health institution confirming that he or she no tuberculosis in an active phase
  • It is necessary to be in conformity with the requirements of the law.

Documents being issued in other countries must be legalized if international agreements do not stipulate other procedures. All the documents must be originals or certified by a notary. Documents are acceptable in the following languages- Latvian, English, French, German and Russian

How can you work in Latvia as a foreigner?

Foreigners wishing to work in Latvia must have a visa and proper immigration status. You cannot work if you are in Latvia on a tourist visa. For more information about work visas, please visit the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs website (

Descendant citizenship

As of October 1, 2013, if you have descendant Latvian Parents, you may apply for Latvian citizenship (terms and conditions apply), for more details, you can read about the rules and regulations at the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs website ( Applications for citizenship can be applied directly through the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (PLMP) in Riga or through the Embassy of Latvia in Egypt. You can read more about the application steps and documents needed on their website, under the Consular Information section.

Requesting Police Clearance certificate from Latvia

The consulate general can issue information regarding person's criminal record and administrative offences in the territory of the Republic of Latvia.
In order to apply for certificate person should supply (in person):
1) filled application form;
2) Passport/ID;
The certificate may be received only by the applicant about whom the information is provided, or, in his/her absence, by other individual authorized by the applicant, after presenting a Letter of Attorney, certified by a notary public.

Getting a document notarized by the Consulate General in Beirut

The Consulate General of Latvia in Beirut does not provide notary services. Please see your local Notary if you need a document notarized.

Getting a document translated from Latvian to English or getting assistance with interpreter services from Latvian to English

The Consulate General is happy to assist with translation services from Latvian to English (chargeable service).

Sending the remains of a deceased person back to Latvia

In circumstances where the remains of a deceased person need to be sent to Latvia the remains need to be placed in a secure and sealed vessel (with a tamperproof seal). A funeral director must attest that the only contents in the vessel or casket are the remains of the deceased. The documentation that accompanies the remains must include the following:

  1. an original Certificate of Death (which states the reason for the death);
  2. an original Certificate of Cremation (if applicable);
  3. a letter from the funeral director attesting that the casket or urn contains only the remains of the deceased and nothing else;
  4. if applicable, an embalming certificate that states that the remains of the late have been properly embalmed and are free of any infectious diseases;
  5. a document confirming customs clearance regarding the contents of the shipment (declaration that the late is not known to be of an infectious nature of Certificate in Relation to removal of a body outside the State). The above documents must be signed in the presence of a Notary. Then the above documents must have an Apostille seal attached to them. This Apostille certification is available from the Department of State, which has offices in each State. We recommend that a copy of these documents be kept by the person sending the remains to Latvia.

Specification of a valid Latvian passport

The latest new (European Union) passport currently issued by Latvia is a personal identification travel document that contains a microchip, including personal biometrics such as a digital picture and finger prints.

Citizen passports issued after July 1, 2002, containing a scanned signature and picture, will be valid until its expiration date and do not have to be changed.

All citizen passports (blue color) issued before July 1, 2002, containing a glued photograph, as well as passports without an expiration date (beztermiņa), are not valid for international travel since July 1, 2008.

Non-citizen passports (violet color) are valid until the expiration date and do not have to be changed.

Emergency contact assistance

If you are a Latvian citizen visiting Lebanon and need emergency assistance out of hours you can cal +961 70 334000 also you can contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Emergency Desk in Riga: tel +371 26 33 77 11 or also visit their website page (